Long Island University
Location: Brookville, NY
Title: Postdoctoral Fellow
Department: Veterinary Medicine
Campus: Brookville, New York
Date Posted: 04/18/2019
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Contact: Please submit an online application
The College of Veterinary Medicine at Long Island University (Post Campus) invites applications for the position of Postdoctoral Fellow. The selected candidate will be required to have hands-on experience with the following:
• Using molecular biology tools for cloning, plasmid construction, and to generate bacterial mutants.
• Test the immune response of various hosts to bacterial pathogens or antigens by ELISA or Western blotting, immunize, bleed, challenge, and humanely euthanize lab animals, work with tissue cultures to grow intracellular bacteria, prepare RNA and DNA for sequencing, and use biochemical methods to isolate and characterize bacterial antigens.
• Growing bacterial biofilms in a variety of formats, including various flow cells, tissue culture plates, and cover slips.
• Use and mastery of various microscopy techniques or preparation of samples for microscopy is required, including fluorescence microscopy, confocal scanning laser microscopy, and various formats of electron microscopy.
• Write grants and manuscripts.
• Manage the laboratory, assist and oversee students, and order supplies.
• Other duties as assigned
• Ph.D. desirable, but Master’s degree with adequate experience is acceptable.
• Experience in bacteriology, molecular biology, biochemistry, and humoral immunology is required.
• Good organizational skills with attention to detail, and meticulous recording of laboratory procedures and results are required.
• Experience in independent research, and grant and manuscript writing is required.
• Experience in handling laboratory animals preferred.